Fabio Jakobsen Wins Photo Finish on Sam Bennett
Ending Stage 4 Vuelta a Espana 2019 is very tight, so that the photo finish is still difficult to determine who the winner of the sprint race . In the end, Fabio Jakobsen (Deceuninck-QuickStep) was declared the winner. Winning only a millimeter difference over Sam Bennett (Bora-Hansgrohe).
As predicted, Stage 4 Tuesday (August 27) ended with a bunch of sprints . A climb in the middle of the stage along the 175.5 km, plus the winding road into the city of El Puig, is not enough to divide the platoon.
Remi Cavagna (Deceuninck-QuickStep), had tried his luck and escaped 5.5 km from the finish. But he was caught peloton in the last km. After that, just who can skyrocket fastest to the finish.
Jakobsen, 22, skyrocketed first from the right side of the road. Bennett, Stage 3 winner, tried to stalk and then overtake from the left side. When crossing the finish line, it’s as if the two are equal. Even the photo finish at first was difficult to determine who won.
In the end, the jury determined that Jakobsen was the winner. This was the Dutchman’s first victory on a grand tour .
Jakobsen said he only found out he won after receiving information from the team. “When I throw my bicycle over the line, I close my eyes,” he admitted.
Because this stage is flat, there is no change in general classification (GC). The title hunters overall finish safe in platoon. Nicolas Roche (Team Sunweb) is still wearing a red jersey , winning only two seconds over Nairo Quintana (Movistar).
But, this truce ends soon. After two consecutive days of sprint fights , Stage 5 this Wednesday (August 28) will be a thrilling day for overall champion champions . This is the first mountain stage, ending on a climb in category 1, Alto de Javalembre, at an altitude of 1,950 meters.
At the end of Stage 5, the winning candidates will be increasingly selected. Can Nicolas Roche maintain the red jersey ? Or is the jersey a sign of the GC leader changing bodies again? (riding bicycle)
Stage 4 Results of Vuelta a Espana 2019 (Top Ten)
1. Fabio Jakobsen (Netherlands) Deceuninck-QuickStep 4:04:16
2. Sam Bennett (Ireland) Bora-Hansgrohe
3. Maximilian Walscheid (Germany) Sunweb Team
4. Fernando Gaviria (Colombia) UAE Team Emirates
5. Luka Mezgec (Slovenia) Mitchelton-Scott
6. Marc Sarreau (France) Groupama-FDJ
7. Szymon Sajnok (Poland) CCC Team
8. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Norway) Dimension Data
9. Jon Aberasturi Izaga (Spain) Caja Rural-Seguros RGA
10. Juan Sebastian Molano (Colombia) UAE Team Emirates
General Classification after 4 out of 21 Stage
1. Nicolas Roche (Ireland) Sunweb Team 13:55:30
2. Nairo Quintana (Colombia) Movistar Team 0:00:02
3. Rigoberto Uran (Colombia) EF Education First 0:00:08
4. Mikel Nieve (Spain) Mitchelton-Scott 0:00:22
5. Miguel Angel Lopez (Colombia) Astana Pro Team 0:00:33
6. Primoz Roglic (Slovenia) Team Jumbo-Visma 0:00:35
7. Sergio Andres Higuita Garcia (Colombia) EF Education First 0:00:37
8. Wilco Kelderman (Netherlands) Sunweb Team 0:00:38
9. Davide Formolo (Italy) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:00:46
10. Rafal Majka (Poland) Bora-Hansgrohe