Sam Bennett Wins Sprint for 2020 Contract
Irish national champion, Sam Bennett, still does not have a contract for 2020 and beyond. However, the third stage of Vuelta a Espana 2019 proves that he deserves to continue to survive in the WorldTour arena. The Bora-Hansgrohe bullet won a sprint race on the streets of Alicante on Monday (August 26).
Bennett defeated the Trek-Segafredo sprinter , Edward Theuns.
In recent years, Bennett is actually quite consistent. Every time he gets the chance to appear in the biggest competitions, he often wins. However, he always drowned among other big names. Moreover, in his team there is superstar Peter Sagan, plus young German star Pascal Ackermann.
Until this Vuelta a Espana, Bennett still does not have a contract for 2020. And that made him upset. “This is crazy. I think I’ve had a contract since many months ago. But I hope I get it soon, “he said ahead of La Vuelta.
At La Vuelta, the opportunity for sprinters is minimal. Not surprisingly, a few sprinters decided to participate. Bennett also get a golden opportunity. And he maximizes that opportunity. Stage 3 which is 188 km from Ibi to Alicante is indeed not pure flat. There are ups and downs, but it ends a lot down then flat.
Bennett’s main competitor in a bullet fight, Fernando Gaviria (UAE Team Emirates), was unable to survive on the final climb, about 25 km before finishing.
In the last mile, Bennett was in no hurry to come forward. The 28-year-old driver was patient behind Team Sunweb and Trek-Segafredo trains. Then skyrocketed forward at the last 100 meters.
“I am very relieved with this (victory). Thank you to the whole team. I can be more relaxed following them. Without the efforts of my team, it is impossible to win, “Bennett said after the stage.
In this stage, the hunters of general classification (GC) were aggressively securing themselves in front of the platoon. They then retreated in the last 3 km, giving sprinter teams the opportunity to move forward. Therefore, there is no change in the GC standings. Nicolas Roche (Team Sunweb) still wears a red jersey .
This Tuesday (August 27), Sam Bennett will again have the opportunity to pursue victory. Stage 4 from Cullera to El Puig is 175.5 km, has a ramp in the middle. However, the ending is simpler than the third stage. Flat quickly headed for the finish. (riding bicycle)
Hasil Etape 3 Tour of Spain 2019 (Top Ten)
1. Sam Bennett (Irlandia) Bora-Hansgrohe 4:25:02
2. Edward Theuns (Belgium) Trek-Segafredo 4:25:02
3. Luka Mezgec (Slovenia) Mitchelton-Scott 4:25:02
4. Jon Aberasturi Izaga (Spain) Caja Rural-Seguros RGA 4:25:02
5. Phil Bauhaus (Germany) Bahrain-Merida 4:25:02
6. Maximiliano Ariel Richeze (Argentina) Deceuninck-QuickStep 4:25:02
7. Fabio Jakobsen (Netherlands) Deceuninck-QuickStep 4:25:02
8. Cyril Barthe (France) Euskadi Basque Country-Murias 4:25:02
9. Szymon Sajnok (Polandia) CCC Team 4:25:02
10. Clement Venturini (Prancis) AG2R The World 4:25:02
General Classification after 3 of 21 Stage
1. Nicolas Roche (Irlandia) Team Sunweb 9: 51: 142
2. Nairo Quintana (Kolombia) Movistar Team 0:00:02
3. Rigoberto Uran (Kolombia) EF Education First 0:00:08
4. Mikel Nieve (Spanyol) Mitchelton-Scott 0:00:22
5. Miguel Angel Lopez (Kolombia) Astana Pro Team 0:00:33
6. Primoz Roglic (Slovenia) Team Jumbo-Visma 0:00:35
7. Sergio Andres Higuita Garcia (Kolombia) EF Education First 0:00:37
8. Wilco Kelderman (Belanda) Team Sunweb 0:00:38
9. Davide Formolo (Italy) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:00:46
10. Rafal Mother (Polandia) Bora-Hansgrohe