Trek-Segafredo closed 2019 with sweet achievements. They won two big wins. After Mads Pedersen became the world champion, now Bauke Mollema won the race at the final monument race this year, Il Lombardia.
Mollema’s success cannot be separated from his strategy on the last climb in Civiglio. The 32-year-old racer attacked alone about 18 kilometers near the finish line. When entering the Civiglio ramp, Mollema managed to leave the closest group with a gap of 30 seconds.
Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma) chased 9.6 kilometers before finishing. However, champions Giro dell’Emilia, and Tre Valli Varesine were caught by a small group when entering the last climb at San Fermo della Battalgia.
Mollema was also followed by 2018 world champion Alejandro Valverde (Movistar). As well as the 2019 Tour de France champion, Egan Bernal (Team Ineos). However, Mollema was not overtaken. He ran alone to the finish line in Como.
The Dutch rider finished first with a record time of 5 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds. Valverde and Egan Bernal came in second, and third place. Both are 16 seconds adrift of Mollema.
“I never thought I could win this Monument race. I found the right moment to attack, “said Mollema after the race.
This victory became one of the biggest achievements for Mollema. Previously, he also won the 15th stage on the 2017 Tour de France.
Mollema was the first Dutch racer to win Il Lombardia since Hennie Kuiper won the race in 1981. At that time Kuiper managed to set aside the host rider, Moreno Argentin. (Playing bicycle)
Final Results of Il Lombardia 2019
1. Bauke Mollema, Trek-Segafredo | 5 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds
2. Alejandro Valverde, Movistar Team | +0.16 seconds
3. Egan Bernal, Team Ineos | +0.16
4. Jakob Fuglsang, Astana Pro Team | +0.16
5. Michael Woods, EF Education First | +0.34
6. Jack Haig, Mitchelton-Scott | +0.34
7. Primoz Roglic, Team Jumbo-Visma | +0.34
8. Emanuel Buchmann, Bora-Hansgrohe | +0.52
9. Pierre Latour, AG2R La Mondiale | +0.52
10. Rudy Molard, Groupama-FDJ | +0.52