The young star from Slovenia Tadej Pogacar (UAE-Team Emirates) took control of the 15th stage of the Tour de France 2020, Sunday (13/9) night. The 21-year-old racer managed to beat his senior and yellow jersey holder Primoz Roglic from the Jumbo-Visma team.
Today is the last race before the second rest day , Monday (14/9) tomorrow. The route is 175 kilometers from Lyon to Grand Colombier. After covering their first 100 kilometers relatively flat, riders faced two Category 1 climbs at Montee de la Selle de Fromentel and Col de la Biche.
The end is the Grand Colombier, a 17.4-kilometer hors categorie (HC) with an average grade of 7.1 percent!
Two drivers lead at the foot of the Grand Colombier. They are Pierre Rolland (B&B Hotels – Vital Concept p / b KTM) and Michael Gogl (NTT Pro Cycling). They have fallen out in the last 13 kilometers. Then the race was controlled by Jumbo-Visma with Wout van Aert at the forefront.
At first it went perfectly for Jumbo-Visma. Moreover, two competing racers, namely Egan Bernal (Ineos Grenadiers) and Nairo Quintana (Arkea-Samsic) were eliminated from the front group. As they approached the final kilometer, the drivers got into action.
Roglic unleashes an attack at the final 600 meters. Then he was overtaken by Richie Porte (Trek-Segafredo). The new Pogacar maneuvers the final 100 meters. He managed to overtake Roglic and Porte to win this Stage 15. Roglic finished second and Porte in third place.
“It was a very difficult stage today. Jumbo-Visma set a big pace. It’s great to win again. I think Jumbo Visma is very well prepared for today,” said Pogacar after the race.
This is his second victory at TdF 2020. Previously, the racer who will turn 22 on September 21 managed to win Stage 9, last Sunday (6/9). This achievement made Pogacar the youngest racer in 86 years to win two stages at TdF.
Even though he lost, Roglic could smile because he managed to defend the yellow jersey . The 30-year-old racer is now within 40 seconds of Pogacar in the General Classification table . It seems that the Roglic kotra Pogacar battle will decorate the third week of TdF 2020.
“Yes, I do want to win today. It was a good day for us. The team did a great job. Cycling is not an individual sport. It would be better to save four seconds, but I’m a little too short. I’m happy with my own achievements, “he said.
Meanwhile, Egan Bernal was jagged on stage 15. He finished in 25th position, a difference of 7 minutes 20 from Pogacar. The defending champion from Colombia was thrown out of the top 10 of the GC standings. Bernal slipped to 13th position. He was 8 minutes 25 seconds adrift of Roglic. (riding bicycle)
Results of Stage 15 Tour de France 2020 ( Top Ten )
1. Tadej Pogacar (Slovenia), UAE Team Emirates 4 hours 43 minutes 13 seconds
2. Primoz Roglic (Slovenia), Jumbo-Visma +0 seconds
3. Richie Porte (Australia), Trek-Segafredo +5
4. Miguel Angel Lopez (Colombia), Astana +8
5. Enric Mas (Spain), Movistar +15
6. Sepp Kuss (United States), Jumbo-Visma +15
7. Mikel Landa (Spain), Bahrain McLaren +15
8. Adam Yates (UK), Mitchelton-Scott +15
9. Rigoberto Uran (Colombia), EF Pro Cycling +18
10. Alejandro Valverde (Spain), Movistar +24
General Classification after 15 stages from 21 stages ( Top Ten )
1. Primoz Roglic (Slovenia), Jumbo-Visma 65 hours 37 minutes 7 seconds
2. Tadej Pogacar (Slovenia), UAE-Team Emirates +40 seconds
3. Rigoberto Uran (Colombia ), EF Pro Cycling +1: 34
4. Miguel Angel Lopez (Colombia), Astana +1: 45
5. Adam Yates (UK), Mitchelton-Scott +2: 03
6. Richie Porte (Australia), Trek-Segafredo + 2:13
7. Mikel Landa (Spain), Bahrain McLaren +2: 16
8. Enric Mas (Spain), Movistar +3: 15
9. Nairo Quintana (Colombia), Arkea-Samsic +5: 08
10. Team Dumoulin ( Netherlands), Jumbo-Visma +5: 12