CIES Football Observatory released a study of 100 of the most valuable football player in the world who still actively playing. Uniquely, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo were not even included in the top 3 of the list.
The ability of the two players is still extraordinary, but this research uses a special algorithm that formulates numbers aka player selling prices based on several variables such as: age, contract status, position, playing minutes, number of goals, international status, and team match results.
Messi and Ronaldo are still great. Messi, who scored a total of 51 goals last season was ranked fourth in the list. He obtained a market value of 167.4 million euros.
Ronaldo, on the other hand, scored 27 goals in his first season in Italy, but the fact that he was 34 years old affected the algorithm. He was only valued at 118 million euros and ranked 20th.
Even so, the two ‘gods of football’ turned out to fail to penetrate the starting line-up of the most valuable players. The selling price of Ronaldo and Messi is still inferior compared to Mohamed Salah, and Raheem Sterling.
Top 25 Most Valuable Players
25. Aymeric Laporte (Manchester City) – € 105.4m
24. Alisson (Liverpool) – € 107.5m
23. Paulo Dybala (Juventus) – € 108.2m
22. Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool) – € 112.1m
21. Ousmane Dembele ( Barcelona) – € 117.1m
20. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus) – € 118.1m
19. Eden Hazard (Real Madrid) – € 120.7m
18. Marcus Rashford (Manchester United) – € 123.5m
17. Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain) – € 124.7m
16. Paul Pogba (Manchester United) – € 125.1m
15. Romelu Lukaku (Manchester United) – € 125.2m
14. Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona) – € 129.4m
13. Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool) – € 130.2m
12. Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City) – € 130.6m
11. Bernardo Silva (Manchester City) – € 136.9m
10. Leroy Sane (Manchester City) – € 137.1m
9. Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid) – € 143.8m
8. Roberto Firmino (Liverpool) – € 144.2m
7. Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) – € 155.2m
6. Sadio Mane (Liverpool) – € 157.8m
5. Jason Sancho (Borussia Dortmund) – € 159.4m
4. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – € 167.4m
3. Raheem Sterling (Manchester City) – € 207.8m
2. Mohammed Salah (Liverpool) – € 219.6m
1. Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain) – € 252.0m
Appearance of Starting XI
The starting line-up is determined by the most expensive players in each position. In the position of goalkeeper, of course there is Alisson Becker who recorded 21 clean sheets in the Premier League last season. He assumed a market value of 107.5 million euros.
Alisson started Liverpool’s dominance on this list of 11 most valuable players. Besides him, in the ranks of defenders there is Virgil Van Dijk with a market value of 112.1 million euros, Andrew Robertson with a market value of 88.3 million euros, and Trent Alexander Arnold with 130.1 million euros. Then there is Aymeric Laporte with a market value of 105.4 million euros which completes a row of four defenders.
In midfield, there is Bernardo Silva with a market value of 136.9 million euros. He was accompanied by Philippe Coutinho with 129.4 million euros and Paul Pogba for 125.1 million euros.
Then, in the attack line there are three top lists. Kylian Mbappe with 252 million euros (highest), Mohamed Salah with 219.6 million euros, and Rahem Sterling with 207.8 euros as well.